Ever since the 1920’s when Hollywood seduced young people with glamorous portrayals of flappers and gangsters, the influence of mass media has been on the rise. In the 50’s the nation’s clean-cut youth were inspired to become rebellious ‘Wild Ones’. Madison Avenue perfected the art of advertising, and by the 90’s selling basketball shoes to the world’s youth had become a multi-billion dollar a year business.
TODAY OUR CHILDREN ARE EXPOSED TO MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MEDIA.
In today’s Digital Age our kids are bombarded by an overwhelming barrage of media, much of it is negative, violent and mean-spirited.
- Graphic portrayal of violence, death and destruction
- Casual sex and pornography
- ‘Reality’ shows blurring the line between fact and fiction
- Misleading and false advertising
- Rap music lyrics glorifying crime and misogyny
- Social media haters, cyber bullies and extremists
Often left alone, many children are exposed to inappropriate content without any guiding interpretation, leaving them vulnerable to the harmful influence media can have on their character development.
THE BEST DEFENSE IS A STRONG OFFENSE.
As responsible parents and caregivers we must take the offensive to protect our children from the harmful influence of mass media:
- Set clear boundaries about what is age-appropriate content
- Monitor what they are watching and the games they are playing
- Use Internet filter software
Because we will never be able to completely shield our kids from toxic media, experts recommend teaching children media literacy beginning at an early age. Just by asking our kids the simple question, “Fact or fantasy?” can help them to better understand the messages they receive from television, the Internet, video games, music, and other forms of media.
USING THE POWER OF MEDIA TO INSPIRE THE WORLD’S YOUTH.
Not all mass media is bad. In fact, humanity is better off because of it. Over the years there have been countless media messages empowering freedom and enlightenment. Aspirations and dreams inspired by literature, movies and music. Posters, TV and radio spots for public service announcements motivated generations of young people to seek help and counseling. Social media has activated revolutions.
ADDING THE V CHANNEL TO THE MEDIA MIX
There are many organizations around the world dedicated to the advancement of goodness. But none are 100% dedicated to virtues—the underlying attributes of goodness!
From “Assertiveness” to “Zeal”, our goal is to make highly creative, award winning “V” Videos that parents and teachers can share with children, enabling meaningful conversations that inspire kids to choose goodness:
- Tell the truth and stand up for justice
- Give love and attention to the people that matter to them
- Listen with compassion and help with kindness
- Trust that they have the strength to cope with whatever happens in life
- Do what it takes to attain personal goals and achieve accomplishments
- And much more!
STAY TUNED TO THE V CHANNEL
The V Channel is the only 100% Virtues-Driven Parenting and Kid Self-Improvement Platform available in the media today. Stay tuned as we seek a publishing deal and corporate sponsors.
For more information contact Scott Feraco.