From THE VIRTUES PROJECT Educator’s Guide
WHAT IS GENEROSITY?
Generosity is giving and sharing. It is giving freely because you want to, not with the idea of receiving a reward or a gift in return. Generosity is being aware that there is plenty for everyone. It is seeing a chance to give what you have and then giving just for the joy of giving. It is one of the best ways to show love and friendship.
WHY PRACTICE GENEROSITY?
Without generosity, people act uncaring, refusing to share their belongings, their time, and their friendship. People who need help feel helpless because no one will give them what they need. When we give freely, especially if a sacrifice is involved, out spirit grows strong. When one is person is generous, other people want to be generous too,
HOW DO YOU PRACTICE GENEROSITY?
When you are generous, you think of ways to share what you have. You think about what people need and do things to give them happiness. You share your time, your ideas, your things, or your money. When you give away something that is really special to you, that is a very generous way to show love. If feels good to give freely, just for the sake of giving.
What would Generosity look like if…
- A friend comes over to play the day after your birthday and your have a new toy?
- Someone who has broken your things before wants to borrow your favorite thing?
- You father is cooking dinner and needs someone to set the table, and you’re watching a good TV show?
- A student in your class has forgotten her lunch and doesn’t have any money?
- Someone’s birthday is coming up and wonder what to get them?
- You learn that there are children somewhere who are hungry and do not have enough clothing?
Congratulations! You are practicing Generosity when you…
- Are thoughtful about the needs of others
- Notice when someone needs help
- Give freely without expectation of reward
- Give fully without holding back
- Are willing to make sacrifices for others
- Use wisdom about sharing treasured belongings
I am generous. I look for opportunities to give and share. There is plenty of time for thoughtfulness. I give freely, fully and joyfully.
STAY TUNED TO THE V CHANNEL
The V Channel is the only 100% Virtues-Driven Parenting and Kid Self-Improvement Platform available in the media. Stay tuned as we seek a publishing deal and corporate sponsors.
For more information contact Scott Feraco.